What's Your Favorite Rowing Machine?

I have always used concept 2 for indoor rowing, but I don't own my own. :) I live in a apartment network that has a gym that provides rowing machines, and we also have around 10 rowing machines at school. I think Concept 2 is very good because it has the best software and I always try to beat my personal best. :) I don't know though, I have never used other brands of rowing machines.

I am looking into buying a rowing machine for home. I had no clear where to start looking but this thread is very helpful. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm off to look at the ones mentioned in this thread.

I've used one at the local gym. Surprised they even had it really, works a treat and is really a great machine. Just a notch above the others if you ask me.

The Concept 2 is really good, although its no longer is the best. It has an ageing design and rival companies Rowperfect and Oartec have chopped out some better machines recently but I haven't been able try them out yet.

Since we are talking about machines what is a rowing machine you guys would recommend for a person that has never rowed before?

I personally use the ProRower H20 RX-850, which I bought not too long ago from a friend. All in all, Ive had nothing but good experiences with it so far. I'm glad I bought it from him since it saved me a lot of money.

This is a very helpful thread as I am considering buying a rowing machine. Eventually, I want to row on water, but I think I should begin with the machine again.

The Concept 2 is really good, although its no longer is the best. It has an ageing design and rival companies Rowperfect and Oartec have chopped out some better machines recently but I haven't been able try them out yet.
Oh really? Are these machines uber expensive aswell? Or are they machines normal people can afford?

Oh really? Are these machines uber expensive aswell? Or are they machines normal people can afford?
They each have a product range I believe that ranges depending on your budget and the features you want. Eg computers, seat quality and general build quality.

The only brand I've used is the Concept 2 at my gym. I have no complaints about it at all though, good software, and like another poster said, it is fun to compete against your personal best.

They can be expensive, and unless you are only training for rowing or your nearest gym is far away you should just get a gym membership and go there, unless you are going pro and you are a serious competitor. :)

The software is very good, and while you can't save your times you have to 500 meter sprint average time, and a count down to how long you want to row, and a calorie counter (which I don't use), so if its for leisure the program would be more than you would ever need. :) Same with professionals though, but they would use their times to their advantage and incorporate it in their training regime.

Ive been rowing on my machine for a couple of weeks now and I have to say its awful. The easy setting is far too easy and the only other option is hard and that gets almost impossible after about 4-5 mins.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a budget rower? Im not going to take up rowing seriously but really enjoy going on rowing machines. I havent got loads of money - any sugesstions?

I really cannot give you much advice for budget rowers, but I can only say that if you want good software then Concept 2 is so far the best I have ever used. It does have an easy to hard setting, and it has various programs that you may be interested in.

Though like I said, if you are not serious then maybe you should invest in a gym membership instead - it may be cheaper in the short term, plus you can use other equipment too.